For those of you who don’t know, the Chinese government had decided to block all blogging websites, much to the frustration of many bloggers here in China. I finally found out that it had something to do with an Anniversary of the Tiananmen uprising several years ago. About this time each year, they try to prevent or deter any emotional outbursts, I guess.
There has been a lot of activity over here. We had a visitor, a close family friend, who came to stay a week in Shanghai. It was WONDERFUL to see a familiar face! She got to divide her time between us and some of her other friends, so I think she had a good visit. During her visit with us, we spent the day together, buying some fake bags and other merchandise, going out for Japanese curry and ending our day at the Shanghai Acrobatic Show. That was fun! The boys couldn’t take their eyes off the show, the entire time! It was good fun for everyone. I got to spend some more time with her, shopping the pearl market, the day before she left. We had lots of fun and it was sure good to see her.
Well, it finally happened. We ran head on into a bus. As crazy as the traffic is here, both Allen and I are surprised it doesn’t happen more often. It turns out the bus had just hit a car in front of it and was rolling down an overpass hill, backwards, from the recoil. Our driver had just changed lanes and it wasn’t until we were just about on the bus, when he realized it was rolling backwards. SLAM! Luckily, I had braced myself for the impact and THANK GOODNESS the kids were in the back, strapped securely into their seats!! Many…and I’m talking, MANY expats, get over here and get very relaxed about putting their kids in their car seats. There are no car seat laws over here and the traffic moves relatively slowly because of the immense traffic. So, expats get lazy and either let their children move around the car or they hold them on their laps. But, let me tell you, even though we were only going between 20-30 mph…if the kids had been unrestrained…they would have flown through the car on impact due to them being so lightweight. When we actually hit, the force surprised even me. Don’t worry, we are all ok, including the driver. The sad thing is…when I told a very good friend of mine (expat) over here what had happened and stressed to her that my kids being secured in their car seats is what truly saved them from serious bodily harm…she completely ignored the warning and continues to let her kids wander about her car while travelling. Sad…
Brandon finished his T-ball season. Both boys are eager to start again in the fall. Brandon will be able to choose his sport and Ryan will be able to play soccer! Fun! Both boys are also eager to see their family in Hawaii this summer. I’m planning Ryan’s 3rd birthday with his friends over here…he has quite a few of them. We will be renting a water slide for the backyard and having some fun in the sun. Ryan likes to call his big brother “Ben 10” instead of Brandon because it’s easier…it’s totally cute. He’s turning three and growing so fast. His speech and overall mannerisms are that of a little boy now, instead of a toddler.
Allen is still working hard. He, as well as many other expats we know, continue to realize just how difficult this assignment has turned out to be for them. Allen and his expat colleagues continue to battle the everyday challenges of both work and home life over here. If it’s not one, it’s the other. So, I can say without a doubt, how much Allen is looking forward to a little R & R in Hawaii.
I’m continuing to explore my newly discovered creative talents. However, with the warmer weather and us getting incrementally busier, I have been drained of energy as of late. My “projects” have not been getting the attention they deserve. However, it’s still something I find I love to do…so I have no doubt that I will continue them as soon as I’m able.
Recently, I have found a few people on FB from my past. It has been good to reconnect with them and catch up on all they have been doing since I last saw them. I’m looking forward to being in a better time zone in Hawaii this summer, so that I can make more effort to reconnect with my CA, UT and AZ friends as well. A close friend of mine will be visiting us in Hawaii in July. I’m very excited about it! It will be good to see her and her girls. Brandon and her oldest daughter used to be very close once upon a time in Tucson…so I hope the kids will be able to reconnect this time as well. It will be good that we will ALL have a playmate in Hawaii for a short time. ;-) My kids and hers are exactly the same ages. We may also get one more visitor in Hawaii…but as of now, she’s still “undecided.”
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am so glad all of you are okay! It is too bad they don't have car seat laws over there. Very sad that they don't! That is scary!
Post a Comment